The opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863 revolutionised life in Badenoch.
The area had to a great extent been cut off from outside influences due to the surrounding mountains. The economy of the whole district developed rapidly in the later 19th century as trains brought in tourists, attracted by the magnificent scenery and fresh mountain air.
By the 1890s Newtonmore was a fashionable holiday resort and in 1903 the local paper reported:
the Badenoch district, being formerly isolated, owes more to the promoters of the railway than any district in the north. The building of the line was the making of Kingussie, Newtonmore and other stations, which have become favourite health resorts, and are becoming more popular every year.
In April 1893 the original wooden station buildings were destroyed in a fire started by a spark from the grate in the office. Despite the best efforts of station staff and villagers who rushed to help, the buildings were reduced to ashes. They were replaced by this stone building. The architect was William Roberts, who also designed Aviemore, Kingussie and Boat of Garten stations. In 1907 a new road from the station to the village was opened.
Two fatal accidents have occurred at Newtonmore Station. In August 1894 John Dobie, Professor of Hebrew at Edinburgh University was killed when a passenger train from Perth collided with a goods train. He was attending to his horse in the horse box when the trains collided. In September 1900, a brakesman, James Ormiston, was killed in a shunting accident at the station.
The station won many awards under the care of a former station master Jock Paul Macintosh, who was also a noted shinty player. He kept the stations gardens in good trim and always had a fire burning in the waiting room. The building which looks like a signal box was built in 2004 as self-catering accommodation.
Dictionary of Scottish Architects: http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_list.php
Railways Archive: http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/BoT_Newtonmore1894.pdf