One of the two oldest houses in the village, local tradition has it that this was the home of the ferryman who brought travellers over the Spey.
Heritage Trail - Other Points of Interest
In addition to the sites listed on the Newtonmore Heritage Trail leaflet, there are many other points of interest throughout the village which are well worth a look...
The opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863 revolutionised life in Badenoch.
This is the site of the original village post office. It used to be known as Dod's Corner after George Macpherson, who had a café on the site and a shop where he made shinty and golf clubs.
Funerals from the townships of Nuide and Phones on the south side of the Spey crossed the river by a ferry at Ralia and went straight across the fields to Banchor Cemetery.
One of two original banks in the village, the British Linen Bank first opened a branch in Newtonmore in 1906 then moved to this location in 1934.
This is the famous Eilan, home of Newtonmore Camanachd Club. Camanachd or shinty, the ancient game of the Highlanders, has been played here since time immemorial.
Originally opened in the late 1800s as a coal merchant, this is now the oldest continuous business premises in the village.
The original bridge over the Spey was open by 1765. It was built by John Scott, master mason, at a cost of £1,500.
This was the home of Rear Admiral John Yendell who was present at the Japanese surrender ceremony aboard the United States Navy battleship USS Missouri on 2 September 1945.
The original Calder Bridge was designed by Thomas Telford for the Commissioners for Highland Roads and Bridges as part of the new road from Kingussie to Fort William which opened in 1818.
This is the home of Sir Thomas Macpherson, the most decorated soldier in the British Army and the grandson of a Newtonmore crofter. Sir Tommy's many war exploits are described in his autobiography Behind Enemy Lines (2010).
This spring has been used for centuries. Its Gaelic name - Fuaran lag an dromain - means the spring of the hollow of the ridge.